Preview Questions from Polk Bros. Foundation Grant Application
Polk Bros. Foundation has a two-phase grant application process which is intended to save you the time and effort of completing a full application until we've reviewed brief, high-level information about your organization and program (submitted in Phase One) and invited you to complete a full proposal (submitted in Phase Two). Should you like to gather information ahead of time, we are providing a preview of the general questions you will see in Phase One and Phase Two of the application.
Preview Only | Please Apply Through Our Grants Portal
Phase One captures basic, high-level information that we hope applicants can provide without much time or effort. Our intention is to save you from doing the work of a full proposal until you are invited to complete Phase Two, and to understand which of the Foundation's strategies might be the best fit so we can include strategy-specific questions with Phase Two. Note: In Phase Two, you can still see and edit the earlier questions as needed.
Once you submit Phase One of your application in our Grants Portal, we will aim to reply within 1-3 business days. If you are invited to complete Phase Two of the application, you will receive an email inviting you to log back in to the Grants Portal to do so.
Phase One Questions
- Primary Contact
- Primary Signatory
- Does this organization have a fiscal sponsor?
- If yes, provide fiscal sponsor’s name, address, phone, EIN/TaxID, name and email address of fiscal sponsor signatory.
- How does your organization's leadership (staff and board of directors) and program staff reflect or seek to reflect the community or communities that you serve?
- Organization Mission Statement
- Program Title
- Amount Requested
- Proposed Term (months)
- Describe the need for the program for which you seek support.
- Provide the name(s) and title(s) of the key leader(s) for the program.
- Describe your program evaluation. What evaluation strategies and tools will you use? What types of data will you collect? Who will conduct the evaluation? How will you document and act upon what you learn from the evaluation?
- Describe the demographics (which may include race/ethnicity, gender identity, age, ability, sexual orientation, etc.) and other characteristics of the people that you serve in your program.
- Please visit the following map to determine the area(s) your program serves. Once you have identified your area(s), please select it (them) below. (A checklist will show up for you to mark areas).
Phase Two of Polk Bros. Foundation’s grant application opens the full proposal which includes questions to capture more detailed information (about your organization as well as information specific to the program area and strategy which best fit your application) that will help us evaluate your application. Our intention is to save you from doing the work of a full proposal until you are invited to complete this phase. Below are the general questions asked of all grantseekers. Additional questions specific to a program area and strategy are not included below, but will be included in your Phase Two application in our Grants Portal.
Phase Two Questions
- Please describe how your program addresses the applicable components of the strategy for which you are seeking funding.
- NOTE: This is where a few additional questions specific to the program area and strategy will appear in Phase Two. These may be questions about participants, stakeholders and expected results.
- Please note any additional information you’d like to share with us here.
Finances for Most Recent Audited Fiscal Year
- Most Recent Audited Fiscal Year End Date
- Most Recent Audited Fiscal Year Total Revenue
- Amount of Total Revenue from Private Contributions
- Amount of Total Revenue from Government Sources
- Amount of Total Revenue from Donated Goods and Services
- Amount of Total Revenue from Earned Sources
- Amount of Total Revenue from other Sources
- (Please note that the sum of revenue components should equal most recent audited fiscal year total revenue above.)
- Of Total Private Contributions Above, the Amount from Foundations and Corporations
- Of Total Private Contributions Above, the Amount from Individuals
- Of Total Private Contributions Above, the Amount from Special Events
- Of Total Private Contributions Above, the Amount from Other Sources
- (Please note that the sum of private contribution components should equal total private contributions above.)
- Most Recent Audited Fiscal Year Total Expenses
- Total Program Expenses
- Total Support Expenses
- (Please note that the sum of expense components should equal most recent audited fiscal year total expenses above.)
Requested Documents (Documents to Upload)
- A List of the Organization's Board of Directors and Principal Officers
- Audited Financial Statements (Most Recent)
- A Budget for the Entire Organization for the Current Fiscal Year, Showing Projected Expenses and Sources of Income
- List of current and prior year foundation and corporate donations of $2,500 or more, showing the fiscal year the donation was received, the specific dollar amount of each donation and a grand total for the most recently audited fiscal year and each subsequent fiscal year to date. If possible, please upload in spreadsheet format.
- For example, if you are applying in 2021 and uploaded a 2019 audit above: You would attach a list(s) of foundation and corporate donations received in the most recently audited fiscal year (2019) and each subsequent fiscal year to date (2020, 2021 year-to-date).
- Please provide the Internal Revenue Service’s determination that the applicant is an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code.
- Please also upload a copy of each of the following (if applicable):
- Agreement with Fiscal Sponsor (if applicable)
- A Budget for the Program Described in the Proposal, Showing Projected Expenses and Sources of Income (Note: Disregard if you have been pre-approved for general operating support)
- Program Intake Form (if applicable)